LOCATION: Albert Sq, Manchester
SIZE: 15,500 sqft
WHO ARE SORTED GROUP?
Sorted were founded in 2010 by CEO David Grimes, at his parent’s kitchen table. Fast forward eight years, and with £22m growth capital raised, they work with leading retailers (including ASOS, Missguided, Lush, Footasylum and French Connection) across 19 countries and trading in 12 languages.
They create game-changing software that sits in online checkouts, warehouses, retailer supply chains, and your smart-phone. Their innovative technology revolutionises the delivery experience to delight everyone who touches it; from the customer, the carrier, the channel partner or the retailer.
#WE ARE SORTED_
- Recruit and retain top talent.
- Build brand awareness and generate new business leads.
- To have a cool workplace where people want to work.
- To have a space for collaboration, growth and agile working Settings.
- For staff to feel like it’s their home and they can bring to life their internal mantra of doing things ‘as if by magic’.
- To have the ‘wow’ factor with a gentle nod to their Manchester heritage and the thread of tech running consistently throughout.
- To support employees health and wellbeing.
- To spark innovation and ideas.
- To give employees the tools they need to get the job done.
- To have rapid growth and profits in the coming years.
We developed the brief through our human-centered design process, which enabled us to get to know the ‘Sorted Group’s story, their purpose, culture, and contribution to the world. We engaged with their key employees through a series of interviews, workshops, and observations to understand how they all worked and what we could do to increase their workplace happiness.
It became very apparent that Sorted group’s people are very much like a big family rather than work colleagues, so the idea of a design theme ‘home away from home’ called Sorted House was born. We wanted to create a cool city centre pad that embraced their culture, ethos, and ways of working.
We used natural materials where possible to improve their human connection to nature and sense of well-being.
THE HAND OF GOOD
The developers wanted areas that they could hold their daily stand-up meetings and the other staff wanted agile and collaboration working areas for different tasks.
So, we designed a bespoke piece of furniture that accommodates their ways of working, and embodies the DNA of their brand by being the shape of their logo!
We have three of these ‘Hand of Goods’ which all can be used for many different working and social activities. Each of the pieces have a retractable display screen in front for presenting.
We travelled to the depths of northern Europe to get the hand of goods manufactured within the client’s budget.
FANCY A BREW
The tea point is positioned central to the floor plate so to aid collision between departments and also to give everyone the opportunity to bask in the best views.
They have 100No staff on this floor so we thought of an exciting way we could display a branded cup for everyone.
Each room is planned on how they actually work and then designed to embrace their DNA.
The 5 neon LED lights in Sorted’s brand colours signify the journey of an idea being transmitted through electric data cabling to a digital display receiver that people see and use the magic of their products.
The main boardroom is themed on and named ‘The Front Room’. “Will someone turn the big light on please”!
The Bedroom - this is where the magic happens.
The Ballroom - Never miss a chance to dance!
The space was designed to promote healthy and well-motivated employees so that they can have a positive impact on the productivity and effectiveness of the business and their own life.
- DRESSING ROOM: All staff can have haircuts, nails done and have massages.
- HEALTH AND MINDFULNESS: Meditation and Yoga room as well as a cycle fitness room.
- NATURE: Everyone has a view of plants and trees, with an increase of these being in the shared, social and relaxing spaces.
- ENVIRONMENT: Enhances their mood and helps them feel good through bold design elements, colors and choice of natural materials.
- WORK SETTINGS: Connect people with other team members as well as giving them a sense of belonging, individuality, and purpose.
HR AND ATTRACTION
ONE YEAR ON_
- Doubled their growth from 50 to 100.
- Gained major clients such as Missguided, Matalan, Lush and Arsenal, Footasylum, Feelunique to its books.
- Have landed £15m in further funding to accelerate its growth further.
- 400% growth in annual recurring revenue (ARR) in the past year alone.
- A reduction in sick days.
- A great increase in employees well-being.
- Looking to increase the size of their office space.